Activities of Pierre Rissient in the 12th edition of FICM
The 12th FICM is honored to have the presence of Pierre Rissient, one of the most important figures in the film industry and a key personality at the Cannes Film Festival for more than 40 years.
He has worked behind the scenes to ensure that there is room in cinema for emerging filmmakers or those who were unknown at the time, helping to consolidate the careers of directors like Quentin Tarantino, Werner Herzog, Abbas Kiarostami, Jane Campion, Clint Eastwood, John Boorman and Sydney Pollack, among others. A precursor of the entry of Asian cinema to the European circuits, he paved the way so that the martial arts of the Chinese masterpieces would enter the Cannes circuit with Touch of Zen (1971) by King Hu. The industry has given him the nickname of the “samurai warrior” of the guild, since he has been a staunch defender of the projects and directors that he supports. This prominent figure, who once was a production assistant in Breathless (1960) by Jean-Luc Godard, is said to be the only person who can walk around the Palace of the Cannes Festival in a T-shirt.
The current cinematography is indebted to Rissient and therefore the industry pays tribute to him through the documentary Man of Cinema (2007) by Todd McCarthy. This film brings together great directors who talk about the relationships, work and anecdotes of this great film researcher. Man of Cinema was presented at the Cannes Film Festival 2007, in the Classics section and as part of the Official Selection.
On this occasion, one of the best-trained eyes to discover and work with new talent will be in our country at the 12th FICM. We are pleased to announce that during his visit in Morelia, Pierre Rissient and Todd McCarthy will present Man of Cinema on Sunday, October 19, in Cinépolis Centro. Thus, the 12th FICM shares with the public one of the most distinguished and indispensable personalities of contemporary film.
The films that Pierre Rissient will present at FICM are:
- The Big Steal (1949) by Don Siegel – Saturday, October 18, Cinépolis Centro, Sala 5, 5 pm
- Pierre Rissient: Man of Cinema (2007) by Todd McCarthy – Sunday, October 19, Cinépolis Centro, Sala 3, 5:40 pm
- Border Incident (1949) by Anthony Mann – Monday, October 20, Cinépolis Centro, Sala 5, 6 pm
- The Big Steal (1949) by Don Siegel – Tuesday, October 21, Cinépolis Centro, Sala 5, 1:30 pm
- Pierre Rissient: Man of Cinema (2007) by Todd McCarthy – Tuesday, October 21, Cinépolis Centro, Sala 3, 5 pm
- The Hitchhiker (2007) by Ida Lupino – Thursday, October 23, Cinépolis Centro, Sala 5, 6:30 pm
You can buy tickets: here
Article by Fabiola Aguilar Díaz (@panoramafunky)
Translation by Cindy Hawes.