Impulso Morelia 7
The Morelia International Film Festival (FICM) is pleased to announce the titles selected to participate in Impulso Morelia 7, the festival’s section that showcases Mexican feature films in diverse stages of editing and post-production, in the aim to establish a constructive dialogue about the proposals and offer them international visibility.
These titles will be presented exclusively to a panel of international experts summoned by the Morelia Film Festival in order to create a unique space for reflection on the selected projects. Additionally, Impulso Morelia 7 grants important awards, both in kind and in cash, that will directly contribute to the conclusion, promotion and visibility of the proposals.
IMPULSO MORELIA 7 SELECTION
Impulso Morelia 7 selected projects are:
130 MILLIONS SHOES / 130 MILLONES DE ZAPATOS (fiction, first time director)
Dir. Carlos Eichelmann Kaiser
Production: Gabriela Maldonado, Alejandro de Icaza
Production company: BHD Films
In a forgotten part of the Mexican mountains lives Tacho, a farmer who tends his sorry plot of land as life slips through his fingers. When he receives word of his daughter’s death, he travels to the city, a harsh world completely alien to him, so he can bring her body back home.
A PLACE CALLED MUSIC / UN LUGAR LLAMADO MÚSICA (documentary, first time director)
Dir. Enrique M. Rizo
Production: Cathia Cuevas, Marion d’Ornano
Production company: Telegrama Audiovisual
The musical journey between Mexican Wixárika musician Daniel Medina and American composer Philip Glass.
BENIGNO CRUZ (fiction)
Dir. Jorge Hernández Aldana
Production: Jorge Hernández Aldana, Rodolfo Cova, Cristina Velasco
Production company: Paloma Negra Films
Haunted by his violent past, Benigno is willing to sell the old family farm. Soon he discovers he needs consent from Mabel and Perucho, his children, with whom he hasn’t been in contact since the tragic death of Felicia, his wife and mother of his children. The potential buyer, an army Colonel named Corona, seeks to negotiate with Mabel and Perucho behind Benigno’s back, as they arrive to town to demand what belongs to them.
JOURNEY TO THE LAND OF THE TARAHUMARA / CARTAS DESDE EL PAÍS DE LOS TARAHUMARAS (fiction)
Dir. Federico Cecchetti
Production: Edher Campos
Production company: Machete Producciones
The life of Rayenari changes when the poet Antonin Artaud arrives to his village seeking the spiritual knowledge of the Tarahumara. Rayenari introduces him to the Peyote ceremony. However, the poet abandons the ritual and loses his soul. Sometime later, Rayenari discovers through dreams that Artaud has been committed to a mental hospital. It will be through dreams that Rayenari will help his friend to recover what he lost.
LINES BETWEEN CLOUDS / TRAZOS DEL CIELO (documentary, first time director)
Dir. Ligia Cortés Aguila
Production: Alejandra Cacho, Jennifer Skarbnik
Surrounding Tajin there are several schools for Papantla flyers attended by Dana, Said, Jairo and Sarahí, four children that show us the magic of this Totonaca dance. Through their imagination, they will take us on a journey through the legends that speak of how new generations can fly and save the region from drought. In order to fly, they must confront their fears, be disciplined and keep dreaming like other children.
SANSON AND ME (documentary)
Dir. Rodrigo Reyes
Production: Sun Kim, Rodrigo Reyes, Inti Cordera
Production company: Grumpy Squared, LLC
Over the course of seven years of sharing letters and visiting him, Sanson and me have collaborated on a script for a series of reenactments narrating his tragic life story, spanning his childhood as a poor orphan in Mexico to his struggles to survive as a teenager in rural California. Slowly, the film begins to grow into an expansive portrait of the systemic failures impacting Sanson’s life as well as our developing friendship.
INTERNATIONAL EXPERTS’ PANEL
The Morelia Film Festival has brought together an international experts’ panel that will analyze with strict, constructive and respectful spirit all the proposals included in Impulso Morelia 7, and will establish a useful dialogue with their creators.
The panel will be integrated by Michael Fitzgerald, North American producer with extensive experience in international productions and co-productions; Everardo González, renowned Mexican documentary director, producer and photographer; Mónica Lozano, one of the most prominent Mexican producers; Lucila Moctezuma, Program Director at the prestigious organization Chicken & Egg and active member of the independent film community in New York; and the programmer, critic and film historian Charles Tesson, who also served for ten years as Artistic Director of Critic’s Week at Cannes Film Festival.
IMPULSO MORELIA 7 AWARDS
- The José María Riba Award bestowed by Cinépolis Distribución consists in a cash incentive of $150,000 MXN destined to post-production services and/or promotion. This incentive will be awarded by the international experts’ panel and will be delivered no later than June 2022.
- Specialized information web portal LatAm cinema.com offers to the winner of the José María Riba Award a promotional campaign, which includes one advertising page in one of the magazine’s numbers, with an approximate cost of USD$1,500.
- Icunacury Acosta & Co. offers three months of accompaniment in public relations, with an approximate value of $75,000 MXN. This period will be established with the production team and must be previous to any distribution commitment deal.
- Estudios Churubusco will give an award of $800,000 MXN in post-production and TXH sound services to one of the projects. This support does not include materials, operators and Dolby license. It is valid for two years, starting from the date granted.
- The post-production studio Splendor Omnia will give an award consisting in one week of sound mix and another of color correction, with an approximated value of $243,000 MXN. This support does not include accommodation expenses nor technicians fees. It is valid for two years, starting from the date granted.
Impulso Morelia 7 will be held in person. Winners will be announced during the closing ceremony of the 19th FICM.